Re: Adding firmware to FSD

From: Craig Topham
Subject: Re: Adding firmware to FSD
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:09:07 -0400

On 9/24/21 3:51 AM, Yuchen Pei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does it make sense to start a collection on free firmware?  One can
> start by adding items appearing on say
> <https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware/Open> to the directory.
>
> If we add some info of firmware for hardware entries on h-node.org,
> then the two wikis can link to each other: hardware entries on h-node
> can link to firmware entries on FSD and vice versa. :)
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a good idea. Having the two wikis interlinked will bring
more attention to both. I am not sure a new collection is necessary (at
this time). After looking at the current Collections, it seems we need
to do a little house cleaning (and hone the purpose of collections)
before we create more. If a specific h-node hardware runs on a free
firmware, then that firmware should be vetted, added to the FSD, and
linked from h-node with a link (in the description?) to h-node from the
FSD entry. Example: <https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Das_U-Boot>

Thoughts?

~Craig