Re: Adding firmware to FSD

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: Adding firmware to FSD
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 01:01:19 +0200

On Sat, 02 Oct 2021 18:35:17 +1000
Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> wrote:
[...]
> Btw seems like there are two atheros firmware (plural) on the Debian
> "open firmware" page.
As I understand, the carl9170fw firmware is a firmware that was
released as free software by Atheros for older Atheros WiFi chip that
are compatible with USB and with the carl9170 driver. It's probably
fully free too.

For the OpenFWWF firmware[1], it's a reverse engineered firmware for
old b43/b43-legacy compatible WiFi chip. As I understand there are also
free tools to build that firmware.

In Parabola there is now a linux-libre-firmware package with
these 3 firmwares and several others as well.

For WiFi I also heard of some firmwares based on the Nextmon project
that are compatible with the WiFi chip that is in the Galaxy SII
(GT-I9100) but I've not looked yet at the source code, so I've no idea
if it's fully free or if only part of them is free.