Re: Pale Moon

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: Pale Moon
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 00:13:55 +0100

On 2022-12-01 18:52, Craig Topham wrote:
On 11/29/22 15:36, Jason Self wrote:
I think Pale Moon is not a good candidate for the Directory, and this
is why. I don't intend for this to be an all-exhaustive list for all
of the concerns about the redistribution license when someone is
exercising Freedom #2; only to show that software freedom problems
exist with it.

Pale Moon has a similiar trademark problem with Firefox [0]:
There is NO CHARGE for the download or distribution of the browser
package.

As explained in the Free Software Definition, all four freedoms must
be available on both a commercial and non-commercial basis. This
serves to limit Freedom 2 to gratis distribution only, making the
software nonfree. The FSF has previously communicated that such a
thing in a trademark policy makes it nonfree [1]. Perhaps someone
could host a rebranded verion of Pale Moon that doesn't have this
problem, much like how GNU IceCat solves the problem for Firefox, but
Pale Moon itself seems ineligible for being in the Free Software
Directory.

In addition:

3a seems to contain restrictions on exactly how Pale Moon can be
distributed (can't be part of AppImage, flatpak, or SNAP). With free
software, people should be able to package programs for use with
any kind of package management system.

#4 on the prohibition of "download managers" might be able to be
interpreted as not allowing other package managers like APT or
RPM too since they also function as a way to download software.

Finally:

* We reserve the right to withdraw permission for the use of official
   branding and/or redistribution of officially-branded binaries
   either as a whole or for specific target environments at any time,
   with or without stated reason.

This affects someone's ability to exercise Freedom #2 where the
ability to share sharing exact copies can be terminated at any time
and for any reason. This seems to go against this part of the Free
Software Definition that: "In order for these freedoms to be real,
they must be permanent and irrevocable as long as you do nothing
wrong; if the developer of the software has the power to revoke the
license, or retroactively add restrictions to its terms, without your
doing anything wrong to give cause, the software is not free."

If Freedom #2 can be revoked at their will the software should not be
considered free.

0: https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml
1:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2011-08/msg00014.html

Thanks for bring this up. I will be able to take a closer look tomorrow during the FSD meeting.

~Craig

I just made https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Pale_Moon unavailable by adding the standard template for trademarks:

{{Project antifeature
|Antifeature=Trademark
|title=[[Free Software Directory:Free software evaluation#Trademark|Unapproved by the FSF: Trademark]]
|icon=<span style="font-size: 250%;">&#9888;</span>
|message=https://www.palemoon.org/branding.shtml
}}

See https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Free_software_evaluation#Trademark for more trademarked software.