discuss-gnu-electric

Re: For Steve, file conversion question

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: For Steve, file conversion question
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:07:29 -0700

My firm has signed an agreement with Artisan, and I have obtained "back end
views" from Artisan for their standard cell library.  There are many
different file formats, among them are gds2 and lef.

I would like to inquire about converting these files for use with Electric.
You mention that, "Electric can import them, or I can do the conversion."  I
don't completely understand what this means.  If you do the conversion is
the result better or different?  Or is importing a lot more work than just
giving an import command?

The cell library seems large to me, with several hundred cells.  What would
be the fee to convert the files?

The problem with the Artisan libraries is that they contain only geometry and connection sites (what Electric calls "exports").  There is not actual topology inside of their cells.  Nevertheless, you can place and route these cells to form an overall circuit that can be manufactured properly, because the geometry is valid.

To get the data from Artisan into Electric, you have to do 2 steps: first read the geometry (in the GDS files) and then add export information (from the LEF files).  Electric has an obscure command for helping to do this: Ports/Add Exports from Library.  This command takes the exports from the LEF library and places them onto the cells in the GDS library.  You then have a GDS library with geometry and exports, which you can save as an Electric library.

This process can be confusing.  For small standard cell libraries, I can do this for you free.  For the larger libraries (such as the pads libraries) I will have to charge my standard hourly fee to get this done.

   -Steven Rubin