discuss-gnu-electric

Re: exporting from Electric to Magic

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: exporting from Electric to Magic
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:12:23 -0700

Is it possibly to transfer a layout from Electric to Magic?
With CIF format it seems to succeed more or less, but I'm
not sure if node names were correctly transferred.
Also instead of my layout I see a white box in Magic...
(I need to read more Magic manuals to understand how
the hierarchy works, but since I'm a bit hurry I ask
first... sorry)

The point is that Magic can apparently calculate wire capacitances
correctly when extracting an IRSIM simulation file.

Since Electric can't apparently do it (even for layouts), if I understood
correctly, I'd get more accurate simulation results by transferring the
layout via Magic.

The only path from Electric to Magic is through CIF. Electric does write CIF "94" lines that give connection points, so it should work. Let me know if there is something missing.

Electric does write some information to the IRSIM file, but perhaps not what you need. If you can specify what is needed, I can add it so that you can go directly to IRSIM. The internal IRSIM engine is close to completion, so if Electric can give it all the information it needs, you will have a tightly-integrated and good simulator.

   -Steve