discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Update to release 6.05 of Electric

From: Tuukka Toivonen
Subject: Re: Update to release 6.05 of Electric
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:48:30 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Steven Rubin wrote:

>>Althought I have
>>         QTINC =  -I/usr/include/qt
>>in Makefile where the qglobal.h is. So it doesn't use the given path.
>>So I fixed this by changing the line 9 in Makefile to
>>         CCOMPILER = c++ -I/usr/include/qt
>Clearly not the right fix.

(Yes, I know. I should have said "I workarounded this by...")

> You're saying that the "configure" script set
>QTINC properly, and yet the compile statement in the Makefile doesn't use

Actually, I set myself QTINC. And reading Makefile, QTINC is used with
XCFLAGS. Anyway, the problem is that XCFLAGS is used only for compiling
graphics-related source files, but nevertheless *Qt header files are
included elsewhere too*. So if I set QTINC correctly, I get:

s-inf-pc24 /usr/local/src/electric-6.05> make
c++   -DETRACE -DUSEQT -I/include -DETRACE  -Isrc/include        -c
src/cons/conlay.c -o src/cons/conlay.o
In file included from src/include/global.h:36,
                 from src/cons/conlay.c:30:
src/include/config.h:110: qglobal.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [src/cons/conlay.o] Error 1

So, QTINC must be used for compiling *all* source files.

>[...] there are two compilers, [...]

Confusing. I suppose one should be C compiler and the other C++ compiler.
But nevertheless, after running configure, both are set to "c++". As it
should be, because all files include C++ QT headers.
Even more confusing because g++/gcc probably autodetects whether a file is
C or C++ file. I think.

>My experience with Qt on a 733Mhz Pentium is that it is not any slower than
>Motif.

Are you speaking generally, or about Electric? It might be true generally,
but Electric is certainly slower here with Qt.

There are some more exact figures: scrolling Electric main window updates
the window content 2-3 times per second with Qt, and 7-10 times with Motif.
This appears not to depend on circuit complexity: I tried both simple and
complex circuit on screen and didn't notice any difference.

The same 0.5-0.3 second delay happens each time when Electric redraws its
main screen, for example, when I use menus or close a dialog on top of
Electric main window.

(The Electric Motif GUI is slow here too: most other programs can update
the window while scrolling maybe 20 times per second, at least)

I'm using 32 bpp truecolor graphics (The Motif interface appears to be much
faster with only 256 colors, I haven't tried Electric Qt GUI with that)

>also.  But this is not a Qt problem.  You should not resize the component
>menu.  That's Electric's job.

(Yes, I try to avoid resizing it)

If this is the case, then the resizing should be probably disallowed by
telling it to the window manager. I'm not expert here, but I think it
should be possible. For example, resize appears to be disallowed with most,
if not all, popup dialogs.