discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Electric and TSMC0.18

From: YunleSun
Subject: Re: Electric and TSMC0.18
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:04:17 -0500

Thanks Steven.

I find there are two sets of MOSIS CMOS design rules for TSMC 0.18 Micron Process:
  1. SCN6M_SUBM.    lambda: 0.10 um.   Minimum width of gate: 0.20 um (= 0.10 um X 2).
  2. SCN6M_DEEP.     lambda: 0.09 um.   Minimum width of gate: 0.18um  (= 0.09 um X 2).
You can find these information here: http://www.mosis.org/products/fab/vendors/tsmc/tsmc018/.

Did you  mean that I have to make the gate size 0.2 even if I use SCN6M_DEEP in Electric?

If anybody else has the experience, please let me know.

Regards,

Yunle Sun

It isn't an issue of Electric vs. Cadence.  Rather, it is a question of which fabrication house you are going to use.  When MOSIS tells you that they are using a 0.18 process, they still ask you to make the gate size 0.2 because they are going to compensate your geometry down to 0.18 before fabrication.  Actually, MOSIS CMOS is able to target many different fab houses, not just TSMC.  So their geometries are more general.

Both Electric and Cadence are willing to draw geometries at any size, but they have to target the same design rule specifications.  Electric's MOSIS CMOS design rules consider everything to be relative to the 0.2 sizes.  Does Cadence?  If not, this explains the trouble.

If you want to scale your Electric designs, you can change the value of lambda before writing GDS.  Then you can get it into Cadence.  But there will surely be small differences in the design rules that still require hand-editing.

   -Steven Rubin