discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Question about layers in Electric

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Question about layers in Electric
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:37:36 -0700

At 12:54 PM 6/27/2011, you wrote:
Hi,

I am currently working on several layouts that involve enclosed-layout transistors and guard rings. I was trying to put a p-doped ring around the n-channel transistors, however, the tool places an n-well around the p-active layer when I place it. I was wondering if there was a way to use the p-active layer without the n-well being automatically placed around it. I was also unsure of the difference between "p-active nodes" and "p-active-well-nodes" in the mocmos technology. If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it.

The transistors in the MOSIS CMOS technology are able to fabricated in n-well or p-well processes, because each one has both an "n" and a "p" component. P transistors have N-well and P-select around them, N transistors have P-well and N-select around them. It is sometimes the case that half of these layers are ignored, depending on the process.

It sounds like you want something completely different: a guard ring made from some other layer. Depending on the layer you need, it may be available in the technology and able to be placed with "pure layer nodes". You can then encapsulate the transistor and the necessary ring into a subcell and then use it instead of a transistor.

As far as the difference between p-active and p-active-well, both are just "diffusion" layers, but the former is regular "active" and the later is something used in special nodes, where a distinction must be made at the foundry.

-Steven Rubin