Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] typical bandwidth?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] typical bandwidth?
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:40:36 -0800

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 08:31:45PM -0700, Stephen Nichols wrote:

> I'm still looking for a good (read affordable) front end & A/D board
> combination. My question is what is a good/typical bandwidth to digitize? I
> know it depends on the type of signal you want to deal with but say I don't
> consider video; what is a good IF bandwidth that would cover the most
> "typical" signals? Or is "typical" too hard to define ? Or does anyone know
> of a good reference that has a list of the bandwidts of various signal types ?
>
> stephen

You're right, it all depends on what you're interested in.

There's lots of narrow band FM (5 kHz - 12.5 kHz) and SSB stuff
around.  I think that all the amateur stuff and lots of commercial
stuff is narrow band with the exception of TV.  I'm not sure how the
amateur spread spectrum works.  Direct sequence of freq hopping?

In the cellular world each GSM channel is 200+ kHz wide, IIRC; IS-136
is 30 kHz wide; IS-95 is about 1.25 MHz wide; broadcast FM is about
200 kHz wide, NTSC and ATSC TV are both 6 MHz wide.

As a first order approximation, you can figure that the digital modes
use about 1Hz of bandwidth / bit/sec of throughput (some do much better).

Eric