[Discuss-gnuradio] Ethernet and Hardware list

From: Giacomo Cariello
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ethernet and Hardware list
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 11:04:34 +0200

I'm answering to some questions that were made several months ago (I only read them recently through the archive), in the hope it might be useful.

I work daily with Gigabit ethernet interfaces and on a fast i686 box, with 66 Mhz PCI buses, they can reach very high throughoutputs, quite near the physical limit. If you want to obtain the maximum performance, you should allow the interface to use jumbo frames (9000 bytes wide packets + the ethernet header, rather than 1500).

Probably you should take a look at Alteon Networks interfaces (3com uses their chipsets) or Intel.

If completeness of information is an issue, you should avoid using custom transport protocols. TCP with the necessary buffering/timing tweaks is the most performant "stream" protocol (ie: don't reinvent the wheel).

I just joined this mailing list (on the slashdot's wave), but I'm no radio guru at all, so I was wondering if anyone was interested in writing some quickstart guide with a supported hardware list that included professional, possibly not too expensive, analog input cards.

I'd like to do some experiments with GSM/GPRS protocols analysis and I have the necessary protocol information, but I lack radio waves capturing skills. Once I'm setup with the necessary hardware and drivers, I can provide all the results of my experiments to the list.

One more thing: I'm OpenBSD user and I code mainly for OpenBSD OS. Therefore I'm interested in making a port of gnuradio for OpenBSD. As soon as I can test wether the software actually works, I'll post a patch back to the list.

Thanks for the support,

Giacomo Cariello, address@hidden
KeyID: 3072/1024/0x409C9044
Fingerprint: 7984 10FD 0460 4202 BF90 3881 CDE4 D78E 409C 9044

"Put that mic in my hand and let me kick out the jams!" - MC5