Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WLAN = Windows Wireless Networking?

From: Adrian Godwin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WLAN = Windows Wireless Networking?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:32:00 +0100

> However, Arthur F. Tyde III, CTO at Sputnik, takes a calm and measured
> approach to the whole concept. "Ugh! Winmodems suck, smells like Winmodems
> to me" he says. "I expect to see the next Outlook virus poking holes in a
> company's wireless network by corrupting the WiFi software. It's a scary
> embrace and extend play. Run screaming!"

Does that cause a regulatory (FCC, RA etc.) problem ?

Usually, type-approval of a radio device requires that it doesn't go
out of band, doesn't use more bandwidth than license conditions
permit, etc. If the PC software is able to influence the hardware
enough to cause violations, it needs type-approval as well.
This used to be the case on modem software (BT's regulations
required dialling blacklists to stop application software from
constant redialling) but it has become less of an issue as
telecomms are deregulated (and telephone systems become
more resistant to abuse).

This can be a problem for free software, since someone has to
pay for the approval process and the user might change
the code, invalidating the approval. But it might also be a
problem for non-free software if a virus can gain control
of the hardware and operate it in a non-approved manner.

-adrian