Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cheap Hardware For ATSC Reception

From: Daniel Schmelzer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cheap Hardware For ATSC Reception
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 23:24:43 +0000

Hi Dave--

Again, another fair question.

Am I right that gnu-radio could decode 20 MHz worth of signal, with an audio card and some IF downconversion hardware? Am I correct in thinking that this would be enough for 3 ATSC channels at one time? This would be useful for picture-in-picture or timeshifting functions.

Of course, you could use multiple WinTV-HD cards to do the same functions, but I doubt that you would ever get a Hauppauge driver good enough to play nice in this scenario.

Another possibility is that ATSC boards will come out that are similar to the Pinnacle PCTV Sat, i.e. simplified and based on a chipset that is well known by the open source community. While these don't yet exist, they would run at about $150 apiece at minimum and would just contain the tuner, IF downcoverter, demodulator, and bridge. Multiple concurrent channels would require multiple boards.

Re programming an open source driver for the WinTV-HD, I wish you luck. I would love to see it. But Teralogic, the manufacturer of the TL880 bridge/MPEG-2 decoder that is used in the WinTV-HD, HiPix, and MyHD, has been very tight with the necessary info. I have a list of chips on all of these cards...

http://www.schmelzer.org/dschmelzer/hipix_chips.htm
http://www.schmelzer.org/dschmelzer/accessdtv_chips.htm

A WinTV-HD list is availabe upon request.

At a threshold level, I guess it comes down to how much CPU and memory bandwidth is required by the radio program. When I wrote to the list a couple of days ago, I had dreadfully unrealistic expectations about what would be required. In the meantime, some off-list discussions have adjusted my expectations by an order of magnitude. 20 Msamples @ 12 bits apiece is a lot of data to process.

Regards--

Dan

        There is a later board with a HD MPEG-2 chip on it called a
Win-HD that capable of HD to RGB decoding and supposedly ITC HD
transport stream to PCI copy.

        As far as I know this board is still current (at least I was
able to purchase one on the web recently, and several distributors
offered them a month ago).   What with the copy protection working group
agreements I am not sure how long the board will be available but last I
knew the latest version of the Hauppauge Windoze software could capture
the transport streams unencrypted into files and play back from those
files.  They appear to have implemented a crude DVR for HDTV in fact.

        I haven't had time to look into the chips on the Win-HD, and
would be very interested in whether anybody else has started to figure
out a programmers model for it.  I might be inclined to start playing
with coding a Linux driver if someone could supply any clue as to how to
program the card (eg documentation of the chip APIs).  It does come with
a Windoze application, and given a lot of pain (I hate pain) it might be
possible to reverse engineer the required information (I have done that
kind of thing in a previous life, but I don't exactly relish the
prospect).   And if anyone else is working on a driver, I might be able
to help a bit on that as well...

        The Win-HD retailed via national websites at around $414 or so
last I checked, BTW, so it is a little bit more expensive than the older
board.   But it will do ATSC HDTV to RGB conversion (not sure about
YCrCB) in a variety of formats.

        And I suppose the obvious need not be stated - if one wants ATSC
decoding capability (for LEGAL fair use !!) one had better act now
before the door is forever closed and any device or technique to do so
is regarded as a DMCA circumvention device and criminalized.  It seems
clear that it is unlikely that existing devices will become  illegal -
but future ones are almost certain to...

--
        Dave Emery N1PRE,  address@hidden  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18