Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ultrawide band

From: dean perry
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ultrawide band
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:49:27 +1000

On Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002, at 15:10 Australia/Melbourne, Matt Ettus wrote:
Software radio and UWB do not fit well together -- UWB requires sampling with
precision in the 10's of picoseconds, directly off the air.

I'm just starting to play with the tools now, but conceptually, isn't UWB like a bunch of receivers (ie: lots of "parallel software radios") ??

I know I'm doing a lot of hand waving here, but isn't it true to say you're either filtering out the channels in hardware (complex yes, impossible no) or you've got some monster DSP and an unobtanium ADC and you're doing it all in software.

cheers,

dean