Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update

From: Daniel Rogers
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:46:06 -0800

Mark Smith wrote:

Oy.  40MSps?  Is that a bit overkill for a starting point?  Since the
chip is easy to interact with (I'm taking your word for it; I've not
looked at the spec sheet), maybe we should go ahead with that chip, but
not expect to push a full 480Mbps for the first rev, if it'll make
things easier.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to finally get to that, but if
it means getting something out quicker and cheaper, I'd be all for limiting
to only (say) 400kHz sample rate for FM broadcast, or 12MHz for NTSC.

actually, it seems that I choose 40Msps from a lack of understanding of the amount of samples/Hz of radio frequency needed for correct digitization.

That said, how is it that a 400 kHz sample rate is sufficient for a 107.5 MHz FM modulated signal? How is it that you can extract useful information when you have much muhc less that one sample per cycle.

And given all this information, what is the max frequency you could demodulate at 40Msps?

--
Dan

P.S. It occurs to me that lessons in how radio works not be the intention of this list. If so, I think it may be benificial to all us software/non-radio people out there to have something like this.