Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update

From: John Turner
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:14:59 -0800

The sampling rate of a system is determined by the information bandwidth not
necessarily the carrier frequency.

In the case of an FM modulated carrier, at 107.5MHz, all the information is
contained within a 300kHz bandwidth around the carrier, i.e. between
107.35MHz and 107.65MHz. You could sample the signal at >215MSPS and all the
information would be maintained.

However,

Since a "Mixer" allows two frequencies to be added or subtracted from one
another. If a signal of 107.349999 MHz is mixed with the modulated carrier
and then low pass filtered the resulting spectrum will contain all the
information of the original carrier and would reside between 0Hz and 300kHz.
The sampling rate necessary to process this bandwidth, conceptually, is
600ksps.

If the signal is converted to 10.7MHz, a 30MSPS converter again could be
used to sample the signal, however it is also possible to use a technique
known as IF sampling to extract the information at a much lower sampling
rate. Again, Analog devices has many application notes that describe the
process.

JT