RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25

From: Ettus, Matt
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:17:24 -0800

> Hm. I guess that when I think "APCO25 for hams" I think of
> using enough
> of the real APCO25 that hams who happen to be talking to you
> from their
> Motorola Astro can be heard and understood. If that doesn't work, why
> not just toss the rest of the protocol too?

Good point.  I haven't read enough of the spec to know, but there may be
other voice codecs in there.  And anyway, patents don't last forever...

But there is value to APCO25 even without being able to encode/decode the
digital voice.  You couldn't make much of a handheld, but the repeater or
base station doesn't need to decode the voice, just to be able to forward it
on to the right recipients.  So you might still need to buy Astros for the
people in the field, but you'd save $20k on the repeater.

Also, APCO25 handles data, not just voice.

Matt