[Discuss-gnuradio] small (dumb) questions about Gnuradio and Jack/ALSA.

From: Kennedy . MJ
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] small (dumb) questions about Gnuradio and Jack/ALSA.
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:56:33 -0500

After looking into a different project with audio in Linux.
I came across JACK and I was wondering....

Does Gnuradio currently support the ALSA audio driver set and the API JACK?
>From my limited knowledge of software (me hardwear guy :) I am trying to
understand.

The calling software needs to be a program that can accept system
call-backs.
Does Gnuradio accept system call-backs? Can we interface into JACK?
And since JACK is a low latency API, could we not change some of the code in
JACK
to use another device? As I understand JACK only accepts ALSA driver for the
hardware interface.

Or Gnuradio is a complete separate API on it's own? That interfaces into
ALSA audio drivers directly if
you are using a soundcard. or a different hardware. EG microtune.

Also. what is considered Real Time? latency lower than 3 ms? Is JACK
considered RT software?

The links to the software that I am referring about:

http://jackit.sourceforge.net
http://www.alsa-project.org/

Can someone please help me out here and explain? I am still trying to
understand.
Thanks.
Mike Kennedy