RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] VRAudioSource question (was Parallel Port Interf

From: Ettus, Matt
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] VRAudioSource question (was Parallel Port Interface)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:40:23 -0800

> I think that the entire AudioSource / AudioSink issue needs to be
> revisited (again).  My general thought is to have them produce or
> consume streams of floats or complexes, scaled to a maximum range of
> +/- 1.0

What if you actually want ints?

> It would also remove additional bogus template code.

Right now it works with any simple numeric type.  I can add a scale factor
pretty easily, and default it to do +/-1.0.

> I propose:
>
>   GrNewAudioSinkF which would accept 1 or 2 stream of floats.
>   GrNewAudioSinkC which would accept 1 stream of VrComplexes
>
>   GrNewAudioSourceF1 which would produce 1 stream of floats.
>   GrNewAudioSourceF2 which would produce 2 streams of floats.
>   GrNewAudioSourceC which would produce 1 stream of VrComplex.

That's fine, but we also need to consider cards with >2 channels

I propose
        GrAudioSink<simple numeric type>(scale factor)
                accepts any number of streams (limited by soundcard)
        GrAudioSinkC(scale factor)
                accepts any number of Complex streams (limited by soundcard)

        GrAudioSource<simple numeric type>(number of streams)
        GrAudioSourceC(number of streams)

> Please, any one who's motivated, please dive in.  Send in the patches,
> and I'll apply them.

I'll work on this tonight.

Anybody know ALSA and auto* well enough to get those integrated?  We'll want
ALSA for multichannel soundcards.

Matt