Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Salon article -- off topic

From: David Bengtson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Salon article -- off topic
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:43:03 -0500

This was an interesting read, but I'm concerned about changing
spectrum policy based on a bunch of powerpoint slides saying that it
is possible to make a smart radio.

Putting my receiver engineer hat on, my mind boggles at the receiver
linearity specifications needed to receive a femto watt 802.11
transmission while not being pounded into a quivering blob by a
megawatt FM radio station.

The software to make this all work is conceptually feasible, although
it isn't written. The RF front ends to do this will require some major
technology breakthroughs.

Cost will also be a concern, making this at a price that is
affordable.

I don't see anything here that is impossible, but certainly there is a
ton of work to be done before it's feasible. As far as timeframe, I'm
thinking 10 to 15 years before this is feasible.

On the other hand, given the speed of government, perhaps it's time to
start kicking the tires on open spectrum.

Dave