Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AR5000 and downconversion

From: Krzysztof Kamieniecki
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AR5000 and downconversion
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:14:43 -0400

Alan Gray wrote:
Sorry, I probably should have been more specific about my aims

I'm looking to receive and demodulate an Australian HDTV signal. We use a COFDM (Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) modulation scheme instead of the ATSC scheme used in the US but the bandwidth requirements are approximately the same, around 6-7MHz. This, I believe, rules out the possibilities of trying to use undersampling techniques to sample the signals, as I don't think I can fit the entire signal into a Nyquist region.

I'm looking at trying to downconvert the 10.7MHz IF to a center somewhere in the range of 5-6MHz, which I think should be possible though I'm currently unsure if there is an IC on the market which will do the job while still maintaining a decent IF bandwidth. I'm still looking into the possibilities, but again, if anyone has an opinion it's most welcome

Alan
<snip>

I have been wondering about this sort of stuff myself. (I'm a Software Monkey)

Is there an RF EE in the house?

Is it as simple as getting an Minicircuits coaxial mixer, anti-aliasing filter, and some sort of Frequency source could you just connect them together with some random (impedence matched) Coax cables and make a simple tuner.

With a fixed 5MHz source would this be Alan's downconverter?

There must be some catches somewhere, can someone give us some details?

--
Krzysztof Kamieniecki
mailto:address@hidden