[Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio based spectrum analyzer

From: John R. Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio based spectrum analyzer
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:19:53 -0400

Hi --

This is both a query for information, and a bit of begging for help.

I want to put together a sound-card driven audio spectrum analyzer for a very specific purpose (measuring the frequency delta between two closely spaced RF carriers that have been brought down to audio via a receiver). I would like to get resolution in the range of 0.01Hz over about a 100Hz display window centered at 800Hz or so (the precise center frequency isn't a big issue). I'd like a basic waterfall display and the ability to measure the frequency delta between two points on the display. I need to display the data in near real time for tuning purposes, though I don't need the full resolution in real time -- as long as I can capture the data stream for later analysis with the deep FFT, 1Hz resolution in near real time is good enough. I don't need any other fancy features at all.

My question is first, would gnuradio be a good candidate to do this?

Second, as I've yet to actually *use* gnuradio for anything, would some kind soul here be willing to help me with development? I need to have this working by mid-November, and I'm starting from absolute ground zero in DSP programming (and graphics programming, too).

Thanks to anyone brave enough to help me out :-)

John N8UR
address@hidden