Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Success (kinda)

From: Alan Gray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Success (kinda)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:26:11 +1000

Ok, I think I've found where my problem is occurring for real time processing. It appears that with the MC4020 driver you are reading in data to a buffer, and reading straight from that same buffer to get data into GNU Radio. From what I can tell of the operation of the Adlink card, it first reads the data into a buffer, then to access this data it is copied to a second location in user space.

I imagine that having to move that large an amount of data around so much is going to have a pretty adverse effect on the performance of my system, however I can't see an easy way around it without access to some of the internals of the Adlink software (I've sent an email out, but I don't hold much hope)

I have had a bit of success on the non-real-time front though, I've still only got one disk at the moment, but with DMA enabled it gives me about 33MB/s sustained transfer, which is enough to snag about 5 seconds of data which I can then process successfully to get a good quality audio stream.

When I have the chance, I'll draw up a decent schematic of the circuit I've used for the 4702 tuner (it's much the same as the 4937 circuit, with a few mods) and clean up the code a little to add to the archives

Alan