Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Based Solutions and Linux Developer Hosti

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Based Solutions and Linux Developer Hostility
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:39:45 -0700

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:30:02AM -0700, Joshua Hayworth wrote:

> I realize that this is a Linux based list and I may be starting a huge flame
> war, but can somebody help me understand this massive hostility for Microsoft
> and the Windows platform?

Speaking for myself, I'm not hostile.  I've just made a choice that
provides me, an end user and developer, the most freedom.

Also, why would I want to pay for buggy software that I can't fix,
when I can get buggy software for free that that comes with source so
that I can fix it.

Also, Microsoft has some business practices that are designed to
maximize their profit (no problem there), but that are really quite
inconvenient for the end user.  Effectively mandatory upgrades as a
result of continuously changing the the proprietary file format of the
documents, comes to mind.  Non-standards based implementation of
Kerberos, would be another.  Microsoft would also be delighted to make
reverse engineering their document formats illegal through a
combination of the DMCA and the TCPA.

There are many dimensions to my choice.  Personally, I prefer to stick
with stuff that's based on open standards and free software.  It works
for me.

Anyhow, this list really isn't the place for this discussion.
But this may give you a little insight into at least how I think about
the issue.

Thanks for offering to help get GNU Radio running under windows.
Keep us posted as to your progress, and send patches to
address@hidden

Eric