Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Physical layer for packet-based communication

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Physical layer for packet-based communication
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:59:50 -0800

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 07:07:38PM -0800, cfk wrote:
> Another possible solution to the 802.11 issue would be to build a
> daughterboard for one of the 802.11 radio chip sets and use the USRP to
> control the modulation of the transmitter and decode the detector output.
>
> I know this isnt *exactly, totally* software defined radio, but it might
> allow
> one to make progress quickly.
>
> Charles

This is an option, however, what a lot of researchers want to do is
jack around with a whole bunch of parameters that they can't with the
existing chip sets.

Some of them are using the Atheros cards, which have some kind of an
API defined, but it still doesn't allow you to mess with everything.

Eric