Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Physical layer for packet-based communication

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Physical layer for packet-based communication
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:55:36 -0800

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:57:28PM -0500, Bob Poortinga wrote:
> I'm just a curious lurker on this list, but I want to point that there
> already exists a large body of working, debugged code available for
> doing TCP/IP networking over radio using AX.25.  Much of the KA9Q
> stuff is now in the Linux kernel and that this would be the fastest
> and easiest way to do networking with GNU radio.
>
> <http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/>
>
> --
> Bob Poortinga  K9SQL
> Bloomington, Indiana  US

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the pointer.  The HOWTO is quite well written.  It may be
possible to take advantage of this body of code using a strategy
similar to that employed by Thomas Sailer's user-mode soundmodem
device. http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/soundmodem

There are folks who are interested in experimenting with a variety of
PHY (physical: modulation, channel coding, etc), MAC (media access
control: how to coordinate access), and network layer issues that go
beyond AX.25, AFSK, slotted-aloha, etc.  Part of the challenge is to
work up a reasonable set of interfaces to support this kind of
experimenation without it all being a big pile of mud.

Eric

[I have fond memories from years ago of laying in the sun on huge
blocks of limestone at the quarries near Bloomington...]