Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Debian Segmentation fault during make check

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Debian Segmentation fault during make check
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:42:18 +0100

Eric Blossom wrote:
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:46:23AM -0800, Rajaprabhu T.L. wrote:

We are using Debian 2.4.27-1-386. And we are using
Pentium-4 with intel 848P-A board.

We are using tar balls and gnucore-2.4, usrp0.7.
I ran the make check. It is having the following
error:

make  check-TESTS
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/raja/gnuradio/gnuradio-core-2.4/src/tests'
/bin/sh: line 1: 2060 Segmentation fault ${dir}$tst
FAIL: test_all
===================
1 of 1 tests failed
===================
make[3]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/raja/gnuradio/gnuradio-core-2.4/src/tests'
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/raja/gnuradio/gnuradio-core-2.4/src/tests'
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/raja/gnuradio/gnuradio-core-2.4/src'
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

Raja

This is a known problem with certain Debian installations.
The problem is related to a buggy version of g++ 3.3.x and libraries
that are compiled with it.

Here's a pointer into the middle of a discussion of this problem:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-01/msg00062.html

Can one of the Debian users on the list please write up a short
summary of how to fix this problem?  This is definitely a FAQ.

After long trying toget rid of this error I tried to build with gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.4 and different versions of cppunit and gnuradio and wxpython. But it never helped so I just gave-up.

My workaround for now is: ignore the make check error
I am not happy about this because it is probably an indicator for more problems
to come. Still I do have some working gnuradio applications.

It indeed probably has to do with which c++ libraries are used and with which
compiler they were built.
I just don't know rightaway how to specify which c++ library to used (or find
out which one is used or should be used)
Has anybody some info or a link on this?

Greetings,
Martin