[Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction.

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction.
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:46:02 -0400

Good Morning.

We at PARI have purchased a USRP for radio astronomy purposes.

I spent the better part of two days getting all the prerequisites installed on
my CentOS 4 laptop; whew, there are some doozies!  The worst was wxPython;
nowhere in the wiki that I could find the version required.  I had built the
CVS version; the release of 2.5 changed things a little.  I had built
wxPython 2.4; found after reading in the source dist for gr-wxgui that it
needed 2.5, and built that.  I can provide RPMs for the packages that lend
themselves to RPMs, and might even consider packaging GNUradio proper as RPM.

My qualifications for doing that are the five years I spent maintaining the
RPM's for PostgreSQL.

The whole single-precision fftw was also kindof a bear, and will break the
next time yum pulls down an update.  That's a little too fragile for my
liking.

However, I'm excited to be working towards this; our technical director,
Charles Osborne, has been active on the SARA list about these things, and I
decided to go ahead and join the list here (makes three dozen and one lists
now) to see how things develop.

We plan on developing full-bore spectroscopy frontends, both local GUI and Web
GUI, as well as RPC-type remote spectrometers (like, putting a USRP and a
small low-power PC in the feedbox of one of our 26m telescopes and sending
the data down GigE over fiber).

Now to save up and get a USRP for myself (ARS callsign KF4MYT).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology