Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problems with BSD make

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problems with BSD make
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:46:42 -0700

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 03:08:23PM -0500, LRK wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:41:17PM -0700, Eric Blossom wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there any reason buildit could not call "gmake" rather than "make"?
> > > Apparently Linux uses gmake anyway but FreeBSD does not.
> >
> > It should build using BSD "make".  If it doesn't please submit a bug
> > report providing details.  Preferably with a patch that fixes the
> > problem.  [Shouldn't be too hard, there's probably somewhere a
> > non-portable make feature slipped in.]
>
> Gmake is not the same as make under FreeBSD and there are a few things in
> the Makefiles such as clean that don't work right. Thus I have to use gmake
> which is easily done by patching the buildit file.

Actually, I'm more interested in having a fix for the underlying
problem -- the Makefile.am's that have the non-portable feature -- than
just saying "use gmake".  Part of automake's job is have this work
with all makes.  I've apparently let some non-portable rule get into
one or more Makefile.am's.

I'd appreciate your help in identifying exactly what's screwed up when
building with BSD make.

> > > Also if I clean out gr and download a fresh CVS, gmake check fails. If I
> > > go to gnuradio-core and do "gmake install", it installs without errors.
> > > Then "gmake check" will run. Still looks like there is some issue with
> > > gmake check not finding all the necessary parts of the build it needs
> > > before installing is done.
> >
> > More details please.  Including your platform, OS, output of configure
> > and make.  Also, before running the test, be sure to remove anything
> > that may have been installed by a previous run.
>
> Every so often I clean out the /usr/gr/...  directory structure and run a
> script which re-builds everything. Thus it should be clean except for the
> non-gnuradio parts which were installed as root.
>
> Naturally, when I tried to duplicate this, it ran Ok.  Grrrr.
> More if I find it.

Thanks.

> Since I'm running FreeBSD, I do try to pass along anything I have to fix.
>
> Unfortunately, much of this is new to me. And being retired, sometimes I
> have to choose between new toys and food. :)

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.  I know there are
other BSD users on the list.  I'd like to have GNU Radio building
cleanly on all the variants.

Eric