Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problems with BSD make

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problems with BSD make
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:11:15 +0930

On Sunday 10 July 2005 07:16, Eric Blossom wrote:
> Actually, I'm more interested in having a fix for the underlying
> problem -- the Makefile.am's that have the non-portable feature -- than
> just saying "use gmake".  Part of automake's job is have this work
> with all makes.  I've apparently let some non-portable rule get into
> one or more Makefile.am's.

Hmm, well while that would be nice in practise 99.9% of FreeBSD boxes have
gmake installed :)
The main thing is to make sure you call $(MAKE) in your Makefiles instead of
make.

> I'd appreciate your help in identifying exactly what's screwed up when
> building with BSD make.

I am fairly sure automake makes extensive use of GNUMake'isms.

You can check the BSD make source code out of the FreeBSD repo if you like.
(gcc *.c -o pmake compiled it last time I tried :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum