Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Alternative interface from PC to a USRP.

From: Tim Ansell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Alternative interface from PC to a USRP.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:20:46 +0200

<snip>

> For LVD Ultra 320 SCSI, the max bus length (terminator to terminator) cannot
> exceed 12 meters (39 feet).
>
> For single-ended (non-twisted pair cable) the max length varies according to
> speed.  For 40MB/s (20 megatransfers per second) SE can go 1.5 meters; for
> 20MB/s 3 meters, and for 10 MB/s (5 MT/s) 6 meters.

Forgive me if I'm wrong (I only kinda lurk, rather then participate),
but wasn't the whole idea of Gigabit Ethernet to allow long cable runs?
So that you can put the USRP close to your dish saving on expensive
low-loss cables. (It also had the advantage of working over fibre optic
which gave even longer cable runs and isolation.)

I didn't think speed was really an issue.

<snip>

Tim Ansell