Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MPAA at it again.

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MPAA at it again.
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:48:02 -0800

Alfred A. Aburto Jr. schrieb:

Thank you ... but digitization in general is ok, right(?), just can't do, ahem, "illegal digitization, of video signals" ... the A/D would detect "illegal digitization" and not allow it, right? As long as it didn't screw up the A/D processing and software required, this may be ok I think ...

The MPAA wants to require all such devices to disable 'conversions' on bit patterns found
in the signal, and those that don't conform, will be 'illegal'.

I think this is reasonable so long as the performance the the A/D processing is not crippled in the act of checking for illegal bit patterns ... I'd hope it would have an extremely low error rate so as to not screw up some otherwise valid A/D conversion process.

I don't know how this would be implemented, and what, if any 'general digitizer' products would be affected. I gave the example of 1394 and disabling 'promiscuous' mode for most users. I ran in to this one when I didn't have the money to rent/buy a 1394 analyzer, and needed to monitor traffic between two machines. Disabling this feature has not broken the use of 1394 as the standard DV-Still-Camera interface for millions, but that disabling allows the 'entertainment' industry a potential distribution method which can not normally be 'monitored'. Of course the same group which pirates entertainment products could purchase the 'professional' hardware needed to circumvent
the 'protection' scheme.

In the present case it would most likely affect developers on a limited budget (or no budget), in the acquisition of parts for development and design, as well as paying for some form of certifications of conformity.

John Clark