Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MPAA at it again.

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MPAA at it again.
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:47:30 -0500

Alfred A. Aburto Jr. wrote:

Thank you ... but digitization in general is ok, right(?), just can't do, ahem, "illegal digitization, of video signals" ... the A/D would detect "illegal digitization" and not allow it, right? As long as it didn't screw up the A/D processing and software required, this may be ok I think ...

How does the A/D know what's "illegal". It may, for example, be a device manufactured in the U.S., but currently doing analog-to-digital conversions in Rwanda. Where, one hopes, this nonsense doesn't apply. Even in the U.S., one might
 legitimately want to do "fair use" conversions from marked content.

It is not reasonable, in any sense, for an unrelated 3rd party to dictate what the technology that I *own* can and cannot
 be used for.  Period.

Imagine for a moment that that Ford motor company wanted to protect its "brand image", and somehow had technology that could prevent you from making out in the back seat of their cars, or driving down certain streets, or at certain times of day. Imagine that they really didn't want you modifying the leather seats in any way, or chroming certain engine parts, and they thought that they had technology that would accomplish this goal. There would be outrage.

Using highly-fallible (and this ARDG nonsense is demonstrably highly-fallible) technology to assert social/political/legal control is just simply bad. It will, ultimately, be the downfall of western technocracy. Unless we stop it now.

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145