Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP drivers/test code

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP drivers/test code
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:43:31 -0800

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 06:43:13PM +0100, Stein Erik Ellevseth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am following this discussion with great interest.

Welcome!

> GnuRadio discussion should not be limited to the use of the USRP board.

It's not ;)

> In fact, it would be useful if the software related direct to the use of usrp
> is separated into general USB and specific usrp. If the usrp software (usrp,
> gr-usrp) could be generalized to support other USB implementation in
> addition to USRP. I have no contributions so far, only found that there is a
> need for using GnuRadio based on other boards than USRP.

I know of at least two other pieces of hardware that have been built
using the usrp software and firmware as a foundation.

The fast usb support could be easily lifted out of the usrp
distribution, but given that we've already got more tarballs than I
like to think about, I'm probably not going to do it.  Integrating it
with libusb is probably the right answer.

In addition, we have in the past used the Measurement Commputing
PCI-DAS4020/12 high-speed A/D board.  That line of development has
pretty much been discontinued, since the USRP does a lot more for
less than 1/2 the cost.

> We are a group of five hams working on an SDR project based on KD7O's "A
> High-Performance Digital-Tranceiver Design. We have built a USB board
> including the Cypress FX2, same USB chip used on USRP which we are now
> testing.

That's great!  Please feel free to discuss your project on [Discuss-gnuradio].

> Therefore we welcome this discussion in [Discuss-gnuradio], and
> contributions like the one below.
>
> 73,
> stein erik/LA7OU

73,