Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Changes to Audio Sink / Source ?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Changes to Audio Sink / Source ?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:48:48 -0500

Eric - Good discussion (IMHO); I'm learning a lot about about GR's audio sink/source model. I now have a nicely working audio-osx-sink, using the parameters discussed below + another which I could probably be talked out of (i.e. "approximate number of samples to buffer"). It handles blocking and buffering quite nicely. Now on to the "source". - MLD

Going back a few messages, you wrote:
One problem with the existing strategy and this one, is that there is
no way to query the capabilities of the card, and then make a decision.

Another strategy may be to just supply the device name to the
constructor, and then provide methods to query the capabilities, and
then some more methods that will set them.
[snip]
With ALSA and JACK the number of audio channels and their capabilities
is pretty much open ended.  The user provides the "device name" which
maps through a highly indirect path down to either virtual or physical
hardware, the capabilities of which may then be queried.
[snip]
I think this is going to be a two
phase solution.  The first one would be to get OSX audio working
with...

* double sampling_rate (in an ideal world the type would be rational...)
  * const std::string device_name
  * bool do_block

...args to the constructor (possibly ignoring the don't block case),
then in phase II we rework the API for all the audio interfaces.  It's
easy enough to add the do_block arg to all of them now.  We can make
the non blocking case work a bit later.

Yes, I agree that the "sink" or "source" should be instantiated with an optional parameter to make blocking user selectable (default of TRUE to block). My bad on putting it in "work".

I also believe that the -actual- number of output channels desired by the program controlling the source should be sent to instantiate the sink; this could be done via an integer parameter or via a "device configuration" type, e.g. in a typedef'd enum. Then, the audio's instantiation would translate this parameter into a device name, or number of channels, or whatever.

No matter if this is done or not, the program controlling the source should check to make sure that the sink provides enough -actual- channels to do whatever it (the program) wants to do. For example, examples/python/audio/dial_tone.py assumes 2 channels, but does not check "sink.input_signature().max_streams()" to verify that 2 channels is OK.

Neither of these 2 parameters should change during program execution (should they? I can't think of a scenario), and they do provide the sink with more information on what's expected of it. Thus instead of dynamically checking the number of inputs to "work", that number would be know a-priori and would make coding "work" easier.

Thus, the API for instantiating audio devices would be as you say:

* double sampling_rate (in an ideal world the type would be rational...)
  * const std::string device_name
  * bool do_block
  * device_config_t device_config

Where "device_config_t" is a typedef enum including: "mono", "stereo", "4+1 surround", "5+1 surround", etc... Or could this maybe be incorporated into the "device_name"? Hmmm... maybe that's an option to reduce the number of API arguments.