[Discuss-gnuradio] [Fwd: leap second assistance]

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Fwd: leap second assistance]
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:47:12 -0800

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: leap second assistance
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:18:51 +0100
From: Poul-Henning Kamp <address@hidden>
To: Matt Ettus <address@hidden>

Matt,

Can I get you to relay this to the gnuradio list ?

As you have probably all heard by now, we have a leap second coming
up at the end of this month.

One of the major problems with leap-seconds is that they are close
to impossible to test on computers.

It would help a lot if we had actual records of the output from
various time signal transmissions recorded across a leap second.

So if you have time on december 31st/january 1st around 00:00 UTC
I would really appreciate if You could help me make some off-the-air
records of any time signal transmissions in your local geography.

Once the data is collected, I will analyze it and create a central
web-page for it.

Off the top of my head, I know of the following relevant signals:

   VLF/LF:
        Japan (40 kHz ?)
        Rugby/UK (60 kHz)
        WWVB/Colorado (60 kHz)
        WWVB/Hawaii (60 kHz)
        Russia (66.66 kHz ?  Others ?)
        HBG/.ch (75 kHz)
        DCF77/Germany (77.5 kHz)
        Loran-C/Northern hemisphere, (100kHz)
                Note that some european Loran-C stations are scheduled
                to be shut down at new years eve, you may have the chance
                to record their last scratch :-)
        DCF39/Germany (129.1 kHz)
                Utility station, sends out time-grams
        DCF49/Germany (139.0 kHz)
                Utility station, sends out time-grams
        France Inter (162 kHz)
                phase-modulated DCF77 like timecode.

   HF:
        CHU/Canada (thee HF frequencies ?
                FSK 300bps code.
        WWV (2.5, 5, 10, 15 MHz)
                Complex modulations.

   Microwave:
        GPS     (L1, L2, L5 ?)
        Glonass (L1)

Ideally I would be interested in a capture that lasts two hours
centered on the leap-second, but even just a minute on either side
will be better than what we have now, so anything you can catch is
welcome.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Poul-Henning
address@hidden

address@hidden         | TCP/IP since RFC 956