[Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA source proposal

From: Clark Pope
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA source proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:10:33 -0500

I've been working with the usrp_std fpga design. By including/removing various circuits the device utilization ranges from 6% (no TX or RX) to 87% (full design). I propose that we add conditional compile macros to make it easier for custom fpga designs to select the circuits to be compiled. For example, some applications may be receive only or transmit only, others may not want to use the resources for the half band filter and so on.

Any way, attached is my usrp_std.v and rx_chain_hb.v. For example, I added this to usrp_std.v:

// Uncomment the following to include optional circuitry
//`define DEBUG_OWNS_IO_PINS
`define TX_ON
`define RX_ON
`define Dual_RX
//Note: More conditional compile flags in rx_chain_hb.v

And then the entire receiver or transmitter can be compiled out to make room for custom circuits.

This makes the source a little harder to read but it:

1. reduces the number of files being maintained, e.g. don't need rx_chain.v AND rx_chain_hb.v
2. makes it more likely that custom extensions remain backward compatible

Thanks,
Clark