[Discuss-gnuradio] am reception examples

From: Matteo Campanella
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] am reception examples
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 00:06:01 +0100

In some of the examples, I have noticed certain approaches I am not able to explain on my own, so I am asking for help to the list...I am talking for example about am_rcv.py - it uses an offset_freq of 30kHz to recalculate the correct offset afterwards. I have tried modifying the python in order NOT to use the initial offtset, and everything works correctly - does anybody as an answer? To make things clearer:

       offset_freq = 30e3
#        IF_freq = offset_freq - station            ;original line
       IF_freq = -station                                ;modified line

and some lines later:

       src.set_rx_freq (0, IF_freq)
       actual_IF_freq =src.rx_freq(0)
       actual_offset = actual_IF_freq + station

Also, as I could notice printing the values returned, it does look like the usrp cannot be simply put on a frequency with the rx_freq method - the strategy used in this script is indeed to go as close as possible to the needed frequency and then use the software dds/fir to do the last translation of the spectrum.

In another script, usrp_wfm_rcv.pl, another method has been used, the usrp.tune, that, according to the tests, does not need any successive adjustment - is there any reason why the am receiver is not written using this method?

Another doubt is about optfir.low_pass versus gr.firdes.low_pass - from the tests I have run, the first one is much faster of the second - is there any reason to use the second instead of the faster optfir?

regards
Matteo