Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] new revision usrp device numbers changed, so upda

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] new revision usrp device numbers changed, so update your hotplug script if you have a new one
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:14:15 -0800

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:24:22PM +0100, Martin Dvh wrote:
> Hi all,
> The latest revision of the usrp have changed usb device-id version numbers.
> As a result existing hotplug scripts to change permissions don't work
> anymore, and you have to add the new ids.
>
> The old usrps rev 2.x had the following usb_ids
> unconfigured usrp rev 2.x             fffe/2/2
> usrp rev 2.x with loaded firmware     fffe/2/102
>
> The new usrp rev 4.1
> unconfigured usrp rev 2.x             fffe/2/4
> usrp rev 2.x with loaded firmware     fffe/2/104
>
> I put an example  /etc/hotplug.d/usb/usrp.hotplug script on the wiki
> http://comsec.com/wiki?UsrpInstall
> Look at the section for Debian Sarge
>
> greetings,
> Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for posting the hotplug script:

        case $PRODUCT in
            # USRP rev 2.x or rev 4.x without loaded firmware
            fffe/2/2 | fffe/2/4)
                sleep 1    # required on some machines
                /usr/local/bin/usrper load_standard_bits
                set_permissions "$DEVICE"
            ;;

            # USRP rev 2.x or rev 4.xwith loaded firmware
            fffe/2/102 | fffe/2/104)
                set_permissions "$DEVICE"
            ;;
        esac

In looking at this, there's no reason (I can see) to manually load the
firmware.  The host library will take care of it when it needs to.

I think that this can be simplified to:

        case $PRODUCT in
            # Any USRP rev with or without firmware
            fffe/2/*)