Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] grGPS Preliminary Schematic

From: David Bengtson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] grGPS Preliminary Schematic
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:58:39 -0400

Martin Dvh wrote:
David Bengtson wrote:
After far to long, I've updated the information on the Gnu Radio GPS
board. I've finished a preliminary schematic, and I'd appreciate any
comments that anyone might have.
Why don't you use the usrp to generate your 16.384 or 32.768 MHz refclock.
Most daugterboards (except the tvrx) use this feature (They all use a 4Mhz
refclock on io pin 0.
The only difference with your design is that you need another frequency.
The cyclone fpga in the usrp has internal PLLs which can generate all kinds of
frequencies.
(They are not used at the moment)

This way you would have a phase coherent system.
Which is very nice if you start to play with multiple gps daughterboards.

GPS is a single frequency spread spectrum system, so you can get it all from a single RF channel receiver with multiple de-correllators in the baseband.

I'm sure there would be mandatory changes to do metrology grade gps reception, but I'm not sure what they are, and I'm not sure I'm ready to support this.

Dave