Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] frequency modulating block.

From: Ilia Mirkin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] frequency modulating block.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:24:50 -0700

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 04:09 -0700, seph 004 wrote:
> Secondly, I suppose this is a more general question about the vector
> and file source blocks. At what rate are they producing data? For a
> non repeating vector source of n values, how can I detemine the exact
> amount of time it takes for all the values to be used?

As little as possible. There's no concept of "rate" in the gnuradio
core. You push samples in, blocks process them, and they come out. You
will always be limited either by I/O speed or CPU speed. (Now, when you
have, e.g. 2 sound cards, and you get stuff from one and push it to the
other, it becomes a much trickier problem since they are under different
clock domains. But I don't think that this is what you are asking
about.)

Now, there would be nothing stopping you from writing a block that
artificially introduced delays between samples as they were being fed
into the system, e.g. have a separate thread running, give it a rate to
send stuff out at, and every so many ms, it feeds gnuradio with a new
sample.