[Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files

From: Josh Jennings
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 23:03:01 +0200

Hi everyone,
I have successfully installed gnu-radio from cvs following the install instructions from Jon Jacky:
http://staff.washington.edu/~jon/gr-osx/gr-osx-prereq.html
I am on OS X Tiger, 1.33 GHz iBook G4. I am using the gr-audio-osx. I do not have any hardware, but the usrp and gr-usrp are correctly installed. I can run the audio examples with no problem, but when I try the examples to listen to a .dat file, I get nothing, although my cpu shows it is working.

This is actually the second time around. I had installed everything good with the tarballs and just getting and making the necessary baseline software. With the tarballs, only portaudio would work with the audio example files, and only based on the portaudio2 version 996, taken from a discussion recommendation. The audio-osx didn't seem to work. But again, the audio-portaudio was working with the audio example files, i.e. monotone and dial_tone etc.
With both versions of the above I tried
./wfm_rcv_file.py wfm_256k_complex_baseband.dat
and I hear nothing. My cpu is working though. I also tried the samples from
http://www.kd7lmo.net/ground_gnuradio_ota.html
and the software offered there and ran them exactly as shown there, and still the same response. The programs start, act as if they are working, but no sound, cpu is working. Any ideas? I have a feeling my computer can't handle the computations, but I am not sure... Also, which scripts can I use read sample .dat files into the wxgui? I would like to know if my computer can even read and compute the data and show it correctly.

If I can get this running, I would like to get the usrp hardware. But I want to be sure that it works first on my ibook before I invest the money. Thanks before hand. By the way, I admire the work that everyone has put into this project. It is really inspiring!

Sincerely,
Josh