Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] matlab/octave sample stream

From: Lee Patton
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] matlab/octave sample stream
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:40:49 -0400

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 10:59 +0200, Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
> hi  everybody,

Hi, Vincenzo

> I'd like to know how I can convert a GNURadio .dat sample stream into a
> format which I can handle through matlab or octave.

Look in gnuradio-core/src/utils. There are m-files for reading the .dat
files.

> Also I'd really like to be able to set explicitly the number of bits
> used to represent samples, from within a Python script, in order to
> afford higher sampling frequencies over the USB2 Bus.
> Is this possible?

You can choose between 8-bit samples or 16-bit samples for I and Q. In
other words 16 bits or 32 bits per complex sample.  See the "-8" option
in gnuradio-examples/python/usrp/usrp_fft.py.  Note, however, that
rounding hasn't been implemented for 8-bit like it has for 16-bit. Also,
as I understand it, 8-bit is formed by dropping the least significant 8
bits of a 16-bit sample. So, you could miss your signal if it isn't
strong enough.

-Lee