Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] matlab/octave sample stream

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] matlab/octave sample stream
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:52:58 -0700

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:59:46AM +0200, Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
> hi  everybody,
> I'd like to know how I can convert a GNURadio .dat sample stream into a
> format which I can handle through matlab or octave.

There is no standard .dat format.  You'll have to figure out what the
particular application is looking for.

There is code that will load files of binary floats or complexes into
matlab/octave in gnuradio-core/src/utils:

    read_char_binary.m
    read_complex_binary.m
    read_float_binary.m
    read_int_binary.m
    read_short_binary.m

> Also I'd really like to be able to set explicitly the number of bits
> used to represent samples, from within a Python script, in order to
> afford higher sampling frequencies over the USB2 Bus.
> Is this possible?

On receive you've got your choice of 16 or 8.
Transmit is currently always 16.

For an example, see gnuradio-examples/python/usrp/usrp_fft.py and look
for references to "options.width_8"

> Thanks to all of you for the extremely precious help I've always been
> receiving.

You're welcome.

Eric