Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make fails on new svn

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make fails on new svn
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:13:58 -0700

Achilleas Anastasopoulos wrote:

> I was wondering if you can commit this change that
> fixed the error also to my wip directory:
> http://gnuradio.utah.edu/svn/gnuradio/branches/developers/anastas/wip/
> since it does not yet compile with gcc3.4,
> or is this something that I am supposed to do?

I hope you don't mind my copying the list as this is important
information for other developers as well.

Ideally you'd be periodically merging changes on the trunk into your
working copy, so you can see if there is any problem with what you're
working on what's going on elsewhere.

If revision M is the version of the trunk that was originally copied
into your developer branch, and N is the latest revision in the trunk,
then the following command would accomplish this (you must be at the top
of your working copy):

svn merge -rN:M http://gnuradio.utah.edu/svn/gnuradio/trunk

Your working copy will have all the stuff merged in; you'll need to
verify there were no conflicts.  If there were, you'll need to fix them
up.  Now you can check in your local copy with a log message indicating
that you merged from trunk from revision M to revision N.

This latter is important to get in the log.  The next time you do a
merge from the trunk, you'll want to start at the highest revision you
last merged.  In the above case, this is revision M.  So having it in
the log makes it easy for you to go check this.

If you just want to get the fix for ticket #11, use -r3171:3172 in the
above command.  This may complicate your merging from the trunk at a
later time as you'll have a -rN:M range that overlaps the above, and
you'll get a reject for the affected files when it tries to apply the
diff to something that it has already been applied to.

When you're ready to merge your wip stuff into the trunk, I'll walk you
through that as it involves a different set of commands based on whether
you've been periodically merging from the trunk into your wip or not.

-Johnathan