Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] to prevent mental damages, avoid dB's.

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] to prevent mental damages, avoid dB's.
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:13:06 +0930

On Friday 29 September 2006 12:33, Brian Padalino wrote:
> I am really surprised on how you guys are so anti-spreadsheets.
>
> A lot of the RF engineers where I work like using them when designing
> their receive and transmit chains for calculating tolerances and all
> sorts of noise figures.
>
> One even modeled the front end amplifier gain stages for which DAC
> values should be used at each input power over our 75 dB of gain so
> when I wrote the FPGA module to actually do the AGC we could compare
> my simulation results with their ideal gain for any given input.

This sort of thing makes perfect sense for a spreadsheet.

Our RF engineer uses them for working out receiver gain distribution and other
things.

We use the Tcl/Tk program for doing stuff like calculating output power of a
transmitter as you look at the scope on its sniff port.. much faster than

Languages like Tcl are *very* easy to program even for novice coders (like our
RF engineer :) and are usually very portable as well.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum