Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The Mystery Deepens: GNU Radio on Intel-Mac

From: Thomas Schmid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The Mystery Deepens: GNU Radio on Intel-Mac
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 23:24:49 -0700

Hi Michael

I have XCode 2.2.1 on my macbook and the USRP is not working. I agree,
this is very, very strange..

Thomas

On 10/5/06, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
* I can easily show on our brand new 20" Intel-iMac that a
"recent" (Wednesday) SVN checkout of GNU Radio will compile, check,
and install, but USB transport doesn't work.  On a similarly equipped
PPC-Mac, USB transport does function (albeit slowly in comparison,
maybe 1/2 the speed, w/ the Intel-iMac maxing out at 32 M-Bytes/s -
which is good news for those moving to Intel-Macs).

* I can also show on the same computer that a compile on a MacBook
Pro (MBP) dated (checked out on) July 13 does allow for USB transport.

* GNU Radio uses dynamic libraries, and one of those is LIBUSB (for
the USB transport), and the installed version of LIBUSB was just
performed this week from version 0.1.12 - the same as what's
installed on the MBP.

* By changing a link in /usr from "local_old" (for the MBP compile
from July 13) to "local_new" to the compile I did this week, the USB
transport will either work or not (respectively).  The "facts" thus
far lead (past tense) me to believe that it was a change in GNU
Radio's software.

* I then retrieved an archive of the actual source code for the
"local_old" install from the MBP and dropped it onto the Intel-iMac.
I then made everything anew from that codebase (from July 13, which
worked before) ... and ... drum roll please .... it DID NOT work!
This now leads me to believe it was the change in XCode from 2.3 to
2.4 (released August 11, which would be about the time folk started
noticing oddness).

Since 2.3 is compatible with the Intel-Mac's, I will revert the
install back to 2.3 to check out this theory (likely early next
week).  Yet even more as testing goes further. - MLD