Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The Mystery Deepens: GNU Radio on Intel-Mac

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The Mystery Deepens: GNU Radio on Intel-Mac
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:39:55 -0400

I've had a reply from 1 person that the "std.ihx" file -does- allow the Intel-Mac to work properly with the USRP<->USB<->GR transports. So I have kept experimenting, and come up with more statistics, but maybe not any better knowledge of the underlying issue. Basically, most statistics point to problems with XCode 2.4 for Intel-Mac; yet some folks don't have functionality using XCode 2.2.1 or 2.3, so that's not everything.

In the mean time, if you have an Intel-Mac and want to use GNU Radio, you can download a -known working- pre-compiled version of SDCC (2.4.0) for Intel-Mac's from my GNU Radio WWW area (it's about 1.88 MB).

< http://www.nd.edu/~mdickens/GNURadio/ >

Here are the added "statistics":

* I can recompile SDCC 2.4.0 (via DarwinPorts, with no updates for along time so it things SDCC 2.4.0 is current) on the -previously working- MacBook Pro (MBP) using XCode 2.4, and it no longer works. This is "good" since it confirms that XCode is an issue as I've been suspecting.

* The "std.ihx" file can be moved from a PPC Mac or elsewhere, since it represents code to be uploaded to the FPGA (I assume). Hence the easiest way to get things going on the Intel-Mac is to do a current SVN checkout on both that computer and some other non-Intel-Mac computer, then compile and install both, then move the file "{gr_prefix}/share/usrp/rev2/std.ihx" from the non-Intel-Mac to the Intel-Mac.

* I can make a tarball of (already working on the MBP) SDCC 2.4.0, move it to the 20" iMac, untar and install it (into /opt/local ... careful), and that install now works.

* I can compile SDCC on the iMac using XCode 2.3 and it won't create a "good" std.ihx file. This again points to XCode not compiling SDCC correctly, since clearly SDCC is functional and the original code is the same.