Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] XCode / SDCC Intel-Mac issue

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] XCode / SDCC Intel-Mac issue
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:34:17 -0400

I have another surprising data point to add to this whole thing: I just updated all the darwinports stuff on my wife's Macbook Pro. I rebuilt the world, and guess what, the USRP code builds and runs just fine on that machine with SDCC 2.6! This is with XCode 2.2.1. I seem to have gotten the lucky release. Maybe not all the 2.2.1s are the same (different gcc builds or something)? Mine came from the DVD in the box.

Fascinating. Maybe 2.2.1 was what was running on the MBP from which I retrieved the "good" SDCC 2.4.0. I will have to revert back the MBP (from 2.4 to 2.2.1) and the Intel-iMac further (from 2.3 to 2.2.1) and see if that makes any difference - hopefully Monday (Oct 16).

I was able to boil down the runtime error in SDCC 2.6.0 (i.e. compiling C code into FPGA code using SDCC) using about 30 lines of GR code. I've submitted the various findings including that code (with FSF header) to the DarwinPorts folks, who seem intrigued.

Anyway, thanks for all the time you sank into this. At least now everybody should be able to build a working USRP image on any of the Intel Macs, and that's what matters.

You and the general GR community (esp OSX users) are welcome; it continues to be a goal of mine to maintain functionality on OSX. Sometimes that means going on these wild goose chases, and finding a work-around but not a solution. Given the time-constraints in my life, I'm OK with that. - MLD