[Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio with MinGW and Windows

From: Patrick Murphy
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building gnuradio with MinGW and Windows
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:19:26 -0700

Hi all,

I have built the gnuradio-3.0.2 tarball using MinGW under WinXP.  During this process, I encountered some issues that I thought I would be useful feedback for the GNU Radio development team.

- I could not build using the gnuradio-3.0 tarball, because there were some files missing (gr_add_vXX.h.t is the one that got me).  I used the gnuradio-3.0.2 tarball.

- In gnuradio-3.0.2/gr-video-sdl/src, comment out “#include <sys/ioctl.h>” in video_sdl_sink_s.cc and in video_sdl_sink_uc.cc.  It does not appear that MinGW/MSYS provides ioctl.h, and these two files do not use ioctl calls anyway.

- I didn’t bother to install tools to create HTML documentation files from XML files.  This causes an error when doing “make install” for 2 of the gnuradio packages:

   1) In the makefile for gnuradio-3.0.2/usrp/doc, an error occurs in the install-data-local rule (approx. line 755).  Since DOCBOOK_HTML_FILES is blank, the “for i in $(DOCBOOK_HTML_FILES)” statement causes a fatal error during “make install”.

   2) In the makefile for gnuradio-3.0.2/gr-trellis/doc, an error occurs in the install-data-local rule (approx. line 588).  Since HTML_FILES is blank, the “for i in $(HTML_FILES)” statement causes a fatal error during “make install”.

- I have put together some detailed instructions and notes during this process, based on some existing info out there, and updated with current info.  I wouldn’t mind sharing this info.  Where should I put it?  On the wiki page at http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/WindowsInstall?  If so, do I add to the info already there, or edit it?  I’m a little hesitant to modify any info someone else added to the page.

I hope this feedback helps.  Let me know if you need more info.

Patrick Murphy