Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3/Cell BE platform

From: Jason
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3/Cell BE platform
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:12:41 -0500

Newell Jensen wrote:
As I am new to all this please correct me if I am wrong as I am trying to get a better understanding of everything. I am assuming that even though you are able run linux on the PS3 that you will not be able to use gnuradio as it stands because of the different processor architechture, right? That is, the code in gnuradio wouldn't take advantage of the 7 SPEs etc.? With reading over what I have, it seems like using the Cell BE would be a great thing and the future looks bright for this. Thanks

Yes and no. From casual observation (I don't have a ppc platform currently), all of gnuradio's dependencies already run on most linux ppc and ppc64 distributions. So getting it up and running shouldn't be too difficult.

The fun part will be modding GnuRadio and its dependencies to take advantage of the SPEs. So, even though there is a libfft (for example) running on ppc/ppc64, it doesn't take advantage of the SPEs. To do so is a bit more involved than just swapping out some math instructions/functions. It involves, from preliminary review, wrapping the chunk of code you want on the SPE in an spu_thread, shipping data in and out via DMA, minimizing ooo (out of order, ie branchy) code, then reworking the algorithm to take advantage of the SIMD (single instruction, multiple data) instruction set. Once that's done, recompile it with IBM's modified GNU toolchain, and watch it crash. :)

hth,

Jason.